Friday, March 15, 2019

From Beginning Artist to Professional in Nine Easy Years

Cleaning up some stuff on the internet, I found this old blog aimed at people like me, those who had a career and either retired or got canned or economically didn't need it anymore.  And who wanted to do what they really always wanted to do...make art.  I call it the Midlife Artist because I consider anything short of physical or intellectual incapacity to be "midlife".  
Pet Portrait from my Portfolio

In the nine years since I blogged last, I've slowly inched along to the point where I AM what I just wished for.  I didn't realize how far I've come, like hiking up a steep incline is just an ordinary step at a time, then you take a breather and see what you've accomplished!
Sleeping Dog, Oil Painting


If you are one who is in your "second act" and exploring making art for the first time, or revisiting a goal you put aside long ago, especially if you are self-taught, join me for helpful tips, tricks, and encouragement.  

So where am I now, you ask?  I am an online portrait artist.  I work almost full time in my studio and have had to devote two rooms to my business and my husband now works with me to give me more time to paint.  My website now is http://robinzebley.com.  

I paint portraits of pets primarily and have expanded into houses, wedding venues and people.  I'm constantly learning, and pushing myself to be the best I can be that day.  

I wish I had the knowledge then that I have now on how to progress technically AND in the business of selling that I do now, which I will share with you in upcoming posts.  

And I think this is enough after nine years!  And my first piece of advice:  Make art every day.


No comments: