Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Practice Piece - toddler on Colorfix with Colored Pencil



Here's my first practice piece. I used a goldenish colorfix paper, which has a sanded finish. It eats the pencils but I like how you can go light over dark/dark over light fairly easily.

I'm also experimenting with pastelboard undercoated with acrylics. I did a practice piece with that as well, but I was afraid to go too dark with the arcylics so went an did another coat of it OVER colored pencil, and then really overworked the thing. It looked okay from a distance but the texture was pretty ugly. So today I've got a reddish black and a sienna brown pastelboard waiting to be tackled.

Anyway, I do like the colorfix a lot. I think I'll try a darker shade to start with next time. I didn't do a real background on this because it really is practice. The ref is from the wetcanvas copyright free library, and I'm pretty happy with the likeness.

What is on my mind, though, is if I can really get away from copying photos...or trying to. I think more practice and a lot of it..will answer me.

So what are you, my midlife artist visitors, up to on this gorgeous winter day? Tell, tell!

3 comments:

Sizun said...

Hi Robin, and congrats on your portrait !
Yesterday was a gorgeous in France too and we spent it in a ski resort we had driven to for the day. A bit far, but definitely worth it ! Today was cold and overcast and I spent it trying to catch up on house cleaning and other chores... No art. :-(

Robin said...

Ghislaine, artists shouldn't have to do housework. Nobody should!! Sounds like you had a really super weekend!

Robin said...

Ghislaine, artists shouldn't have to do housework. Nobody should!! Sounds like you had a really super weekend!